Communication | Knowledge | Integrity | Excellence
| How to Analyse a Job Ad |
It isn't likely that you will find out everything you need to know simply from the job ad. To really know if the advertised position and organisation is right for you, it is necessary to analyse the role beyond what you read in the ad. This will also help you understand what is needed in your application.
| Things to Consider |
When you come across an open position that you would like to apply, it is important to first analyse the role and organisation before jumping into your application. When analysing the advertised position, consider the following:
- What is the overall role of this position with the organisation?
- What skills, experience, qualifications and training are listed in the selection criteria?
- What additional skills, experience, qualifications and training would be useful for the role?
- Considering the context of the job and the organisation, what are the important current and future motivators?
- What is the closing date for applications? Don't miss it!
- Who is the contact person? You may want to contact them for more information before applying.
- What are your reasons for wanting this position?
- Why are you a good fit for this position?
| Further Analysis |
As well as analysing the position, it is also important that you research the organisation or company. This will give you a better understanding of what the job entails. Consider the following:
- What are the expectations of this role?
- What opportunities does the organisation offer for professional development?
- What is the company's culture?
- What skills and personal qualities would fit with the culture of the organisation.
- What is the organisational structure of the company? In this position, who would you report to?
- What kinds of challenges are likely to face the person in this role?
Level 5 / 841 George Street, Sydney NSW 2000 - Near Central Railway Station
Level 4, 344 Queen St, Brisbane, QLD 4000 - Near Central Railway Station